Subject: Re: Multi-processors?
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:38:50 -0500

1) Under NT, you can not assign any particular activity on any 
     particular CPU. The operating system takes care of dividing threads 
     between the CPUs. Lighwave is single threaded so one session of 
     Lightwave does not directly take advantage of multiple CPUs. However 
     you will see some improvement because anything else the computer is 
     doing (especially disk access) is a sepearte thread and will take 
     advantage of the additional CPU power.
     
     2) You can see how the CPUs are being used by running System Monitor 
     and setting it up to show CPU utilization for each of the CPUs.
     
     3) Multi-frame rendering using two sessions of Lightwave on a dual P5 
     works great! I use it all the time. The per-frame rendering time of 
     the first session is not noticably affected by starting a second 
     session rendering so you get two frames in the time one used to take. 
     (This assumes that you have sufficient RAM to support two sessions).
     
     4) Rendering using Screamer Net for the second session may give better 
     performance but I haven't tried it yet.
     
     5) When rendering with two Lightwave sessions it is best to have one 
     session do the first half of the frames and the other session doing 
     the second half so there can be no conflict.
     
     Ron Gidseg
     Better Than Life
     Computer Visualization

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Multi-processors?
Author:  [email-masked] at _internet
Date:    1/11/96 11:18 PM

     
I'm doing some rendering tests on a Dual cpu P5 166. I thought one good 
test would be to run a separate version of Lightwave on each cpu, until I 
realized I had no idea how to go about doing this. How do you know after 
starting an application which cpu it's running on?
     
Is there a way to specify a cpu for a certain task, or even verify once 
running which processor is being used for which task?
     
Thanks...
     
-Eric G.